1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest

The following links should help you get back in touch with our community and get to know what's new as of 07/23/2019

Commits thead // Join our Discord (chat) server

Join the game: PartyServer on SA-MP 0.3.7 or add the following IP manually to your client favorites: samp.partyserver.net:7777

Important Hardware fundraiser, computer has died.

Discussion in 'SAMP Server Updates' started by RedShirt, Feb 6, 2016.

1. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

As mentioned here: https://forum.partyserver.us/index.php?threads/february-updates.13762/#post-147451

I just had my home computer, the one used for all script development die 2 days ago.

The motherboard has died, it no longer recognizes any hard drive. It appears that sata chipset has been fried or gone nuts.. whatever scenario, the motherboard also has a few bad caps and has lived over its expected time as-is, it also barely boots - it takes 10 tries to even wake it up, then it will not boot as it doesn't recognize any drive, so which basically makes it useless, drives were however tested via external hdd dock and are all ok.

The pc was custom built inside small chasis and with core 2 quad cpu and 4x2gb DDR2 ram sticks, ideally i'd replace just the motherboard, but replacing also ram and cpu would cost a lot more and i can't even afford to replace the motherboard right now.

So this is why i'm running the fundraiser to have motherboard replaced, the pc is the only one i have and that can be used for partyserver script development, so i'm asking for the community to help out a bit.

This are the requirements for replacement motherboard:
    • G43 or G45 chipset (lga775, processor = core 2 quad q8400 )
    • 4 ram slots (for each to fit 2gb ddr2, has to support 8gb ram)
    • sata slots (3 minimum)
    • pcie 16x slot (has to be aligned and positioned well to fit the gigantic heatpipe cooled gpu that occupies 2 slots)
    • pcie 1x slot above gpu (card with additional needed usb 3.0 ports)
    • micro atx format, cpu has to be at standard place (must fit well under psu and cooler must not get in the way of gpu)
    • The chassis's size and gpu dimensions limit greatly what can be put in physically into this computer and ram + cpu combination dictates which chipsets and sockets work with it
    • Technically, motherboard can be any of (Q45, Q43, Q35, G45, G43, G41, G35, G33, G31, B43) chipsets but MUST be built for ddr2 memory.

This is price for current motherboard:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/P5QL-VM-EPU-CM5570-DP-MB-G43-775-DDR2-WITH-HDMI/32389823198.html

Another option (seems like a better choice too):
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...48&btsid=2fc71b60-10ec-4363-8fca-7499fe194423

There are few other motherboards that are good candidate, and those i have find cost even more (up to 200$ for such old motherboard).

It seems like that sellers who have stocks of these older motherboards simply know they can jack up the prices because there will be always one fool looking for a replacement..

So, the fundraiser is as following:

- All donations are sent via paypal, using sending money to friends or family option.
    I will personally reply to each email with coupon codes for partyserver feature pack that will be calculated based on your donation amout. For each donation you will receive additional code you can share with your friends (so, 2 for the price of one).

Money should be sent using paypal to jernejcoder@gmail.com as recipent.

All of it will be spent to buy replacement parts for this pc, any additional money received that will go beyond costs of the motherboard will be used to pay for better and faster shipping options and potential import duties (it will still take a month for motherboard to be shipped to me).

I will post pictures of the poor computer later when i have the chance to take a few proper pictures and remove all the dust..

Thanks in advance.

2. KyleSmith

KyleSmith Airman Basic

Donated 20 euro. :)

Деннис, ReiN and [KFC]Phantasm like this.
  3. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

Thank you! 30 eur remaining, and hopefully something extra to pay for a faster shipping option..

4. a_doorway

a_doorway Chief Master Sergeant
    P.S. Admin

$5 euro sent.

Деннис, ReiN and KyleSmith like this.
  5. slowzinho

slowzinho Airman

vai trabalha vai

6. Ednac_

Ednac_ Airman First Class

I'll see if I can top you off in a couple of days.

7. Kosuki07

Kosuki07 Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

No mailing him dildos....

Chu likes this.
  8. Ednac_

Ednac_ Airman First Class

@Kosuki07 You mean didlos? I'm really disappointed in the spelling, but i still love the award. Also may I tell you who to give the award to next?

9. agent_ANON

agent_ANON Senior Airman
    P.S. Admin

50€ (minus the 5.5% fee from Skrill) sent.

Деннис and ReiN like this.
  10. KyleSmith

KyleSmith Airman Basic

Great stuff! Remember guys, keep donating as not only the funds pay for this new mobo and shipping, they also go towards server bills

11. Деннис

Деннис BANNED
    Moderator Banned

Unfortunately i lost my bank card two days ago, I would have donated to you. Once they send me a new one i'll send you 50 euro. :*

12. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

Huge thanks to everybody who donated, i'll wait a few more days and see how much it all ends up. If it will be enough i might get something newer from store and also replace ram with DDR3 - that way i won't have to wait a month for replacement motherboard to arrive.

Here are finally some pictures of the box, notice dead caps and that motherboard has physically bent under the cpu cooler.
    The plastic clips on other side have actually touched floor of the chassis and made a noticeable cibration rubbing pattern, meaning the board might even came in contact with ground and short-circuited itself that way... Anyways, all 6 sata connectors are dead - none of them recognizes any drives.

Additionally the bios refuses to boot off usb aswell. I have tried to connect drives to psu for power and via sata -> usb converters to get them live. It does detect them but cannot initialize them to start the boot process, it just freezes on hdd init screen, i'm guessing there has to be sort of hardware and software fault preventing any drives from working with it..

Pc pictures gallery: https://imgur.com/a/EZqER

Деннис likes this.
  13. KyleSmith

KyleSmith Airman Basic

Not good! Keep donating people!

14. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

Ok, GOOD NEWS: p5ql-em motherboard ordered, it's a LGA775 motherboard with same chipset and nearly identical layout but with better quality capacitators and sideways sata ports (which will help a lot since that area gets completely covered by the GPU). This motherboard also has its own built in gpu for 2 monitors as a backup if the primary one ever failed.

[​IMG]

It'll take a while for it to arrive since chinise have their new year celebrations until 13th.

I think the PSU is still ok, but i'll have that de-dusted and checked aswell for bad caps, psu is approx. 4 years old aswell, there were some fan issues too but i think it's not as bad as it seems so i won't replace it for now. I'll keep you all informed of the progress.

Also big thanks for everyone who contributed, all the donations really made a lot of difference!!

Деннис likes this.
  15. Silent

Silent Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

That's great news, Red. Nice to see the community pull together like that.
    Now if only I could find a way to argue that a new motorbike is essential for my admin work...

16. Деннис

Деннис BANNED
    Moderator Banned

You still need me to donate RedShirt or it's okay ? because i am planing to send you 50 euro

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  17. IGI_MK.

IGI_MK. Master Sergeant

In 90% of the cases the reason for bloated capacitors on the motherboards are the bad power supply (psu).
    You should check the voltage outputs 12V,5V,3.3V, and capacitors inside into the psu. :)

Chu likes this.
  18. Ray

Ray Scuba Diver
    Staff Member Forum Admin

If you're still looking for more donations, I'll shoot you some cash, assuming I can fix my PayPal account...

I would definitely check the PSU. Many hardware issues stem from the PSU going bad.

What PSU do you have?

IGI_MK. likes this.
  19. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

That is true, but i think the psu wasn't so bad, it was a chieftec one, even if it wasn't very string (i'll check the wattage home).
    Деннис and Ray: if you donate, the funds will go for a more decent power supply (plus maybe some other minor bits)

Деннис likes this.
  20. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

Update: PSU is a 450 watt chieftec APS-450S, a silent and rather stable / powerful small psu. I gave it good cleaning as i'm still waiting for motherboard to be shipped, it wasn't even shipped yet..

Деннис likes this.