1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest

The following links should help you get back in touch with our community and get to know what's new as of 07/23/2019

Commits thead // Join our Discord (chat) server

Join the game: PartyServer on SA-MP 0.3.7 or add the following IP manually to your client favorites: samp.partyserver.net:7777

Important Issues with sniper [FIXED]

Discussion in 'SAMP Server News' started by RedShirt, Aug 25, 2016.

1. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

Sniper is known to have been bugged since as long as sa-mp existed, your hits will simply not register in some conditions regardless of what you do.

So, i've been considering some possible workarounds, but it's very likely that we will either have to change amout of damage sniper does (from 41.2500 (sniper) to 46.2000 (deagle - closest weapon with similar damage))

Perhaps a 48dmg option is also possible, but it might take some work.. i'm not totally sure what other side effects this might cause.

An alternate option allows us to keep same amout of damage, but might work strangely during lag and make players appear as if gaining health when being shot at by multiple weapons at the same time (sync gets complicated)

So, this are a few options to fix sniper sync, what do you people think?

[spEc]Hunter likes this.
  2. Silent

Silent Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

if you switch to m4, fire a few, switch back to sniper, then the sniper will function properly. It (the weapon switch/gun you are using) will sync to the distant player.
    Perhaps simulating this in some way would be a better solution than once again messing with the default guns and moving further away from vanilla SA

3. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

Slow did some testing, the sniper does send shots and they are seen by the server - however the target player sees nothing.
    I think it's not merely a issue of weapon switch, but it has to do with sniper being 1st person weapon and aim vectors are messing up.

This would explain why sniper didn't work properly since.. forever, even when lagshot compensation was introduced, i think client will simply not see shots being fired from certain angles, i recall kalcor explaining that rockstar made a dozen hacks for sniper inside their code, and that it has a lot of special handlings ( like the delay, sniper is not totally instant-hit in single player like the rest of gun type weapons, it also has no recoil and it has the special first person aiming mode (all other 1st person aiming weapons produce projectiles, not bullets - rpg, heatseeker..), each of these makes the weapon sync strange because a dozen conditions has to be met).

I've set up some tests to do later to see if we can override sniper weapon bullets to simulate them with desert eagle shots (since damage is so similar), but i don't know yet if this will fix the problem or not and in any case, i'd prefer to get rid of the bug itself since people are not likely to know various workarounds how to get sniper to sync again.

4. Reaper

Reaper Misfits
    Sr. P.S. Admin

Snipers and lagcomp, both hate each other, though I use snipers almost everytime and they work very good for me, even using fast switching, litefoot with them at around 180-250 ping with 37 fps. And YES, when I shoot at someone and shots won't sync, i simply switch back and forth to another weapon and it works again (in skinhit) as Silent said. Damage done by sniper is just fine and I haven't noticed any troubles while using them so please consider anything before tweaking it's damage or range.

5. Chu

Chu Forum Moderator
    Staff Member Forum Moderator

Is this with the issue of getting the kill when someone snipes at the distance, and it registered as a /kill rather than an actual kill? I had that problem when turfing and the person didn't get the kill after all after killing me.

6. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

It's merely idea of replacing bullet type that is synced of sniper to deagle, the purpose would be to avoid the glitches that sniper bullets have and see if this fixes the problem itself and prevents having a need for weapon switching.

It's a new approach, we haven't used anything like this before (only dropping bullets from sync), so i have no idea what kind of issues might show up in the end but it might be a really good way to fix sniper without changing much at all and without requiring strange new types of workarounds.

7. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

The first sniper fix didn't go so well, i understand it totally broke sniper. We are working on another fix for this :\

8. Bakarcrazy1

Bakarcrazy1 Guest

First you destroy kamikaze(rustlers) and now you lay your eyes on sniper....

9. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

yes, i'm going to break shops and cars next...

10. RedShirt

RedShirt Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Admin

Sniper is fixed, it should also now work much more reliably than any other server :)

[spEc]Hunter likes this.